Donations / Fundraisers
Considering BK Cellars is a small, boutique winery, it requires us to allocate our resources in an organized manner to try to provide the greatest benefit to the causes we are passionate about.
Therefore, BK Cellars is committed to supporting fundraisers for non-profit 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) organizations in San Diego County, Southwest Riverside County, or South Orange County which provide the services directly to the following populations (with examples in parenthesis following):
• Cancer research, prevention, treatment and/or assistance with medical expenses;
(e.g. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, American Cancer Society)
• Children’s hospitals;
(e.g. Rady’s Children’s Hospital of San Diego and their Auxiliary Units)
• Youth at-risk for homelessness, youth counseling, child adoption, and child abuse prevention, especially those programs directed at under-served LGBT youth;
(e.g. Olive Crest, Storefront Shelter, North County LGBTQ Resource Center, Hillcrest Youth Center, Urban Street Angels)
• Assistance to physically or mentally injured United States armed services veterans and their families; and
(e.g. Wounded Warrior Project)
• Public school or educational programs not aligned with a religious body, especially those programs directed at visual arts, musical arts, and/or sciences, or scholarships for students pursuing degrees in these fields.
(e.g. YMCA of San Diego, parent-teacher organizations commissioned to fundraise directly for public middle school and high school programs)
THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS STRICT DONATION RULES FOR ALCOHOL PRODUCERS (WINERIES, BREWERIES & DISTILLERIES):
As a winery, operating under an 02 ABC license, we can only donate wine, and we can only donate to 501(c)(3) and some 501(c)(6) non-profit organizations.
If the wine donation is being consumed on the premises, or is being used as a raffle or auction item at an event, a Special Temporary License (Type 221) must be applied for by the non-profit and approved by the ABC.
UNFORTUNATELY, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE DONATIONS FOR:
• Groups that are not a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization;
• Groups which do not or can not secure a Type 221 ABC "Special Daily License" for their specific single-day event (sorry, those are the laws - or try holding your event at the winery instead!);
• Events co-sponsored, hosted, or associated with an establishment that has an existing liquor license;
• Networking events, mixers or conferences;
• Events hosted by a retail company to bring attention to the organization itself, its products or its services;
• Athletes/sports teams: aside from a few Escondido Union High School District arts-oriented dance teams, we pass on the majority of these requests due to the large volume and to be fair to all; and
• Golf Tournaments: we've decided to pass on the majority of these requests due to the difficult nature of securing the appropriate ABC permit.
WE PREFER TO HOST YOUR FUNDRAISING EVENT AT OUR WINERY:
While we love supporting non-profits, in our experience, donations to off-site fundraising events does not result in new patrons of our winery. Therefore, we have a unique program whereby if we host your fundraising event, we donate 30% of net proceeds plus a "bonus" $10 for each multiple of two bottles purchased by attendees during the event! Plus, you don't have to worry about ABC permitting!
If you wish to request a donation for your fundraising event, or better yet, wish to hold your fundraising event at our winery, please fill out the required form below.
Joe & Dania Ames